Sunscreen is a must-have as part of a healthy skincare routine. It helps to protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays which can lead to skin cancer and the visible signs of premature ageing such as wrinkles and age spots.
With the warm summer months seemingly just around the corner, it’s important to invest in a good sunscreen that will not only protect but also moisturize and nourish your skin.
So here’s a list of 7 La Roche-Posay sunscreens that are both affordable and effective in protecting your skin from harmful UV rays as well as boosting its natural defences against environmental stressors.
7 Best La Roche-Posay sunscreens
- La Roche Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 60 – shop on Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid – shop on Skinstore – SkincareRx – Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen – Gentle Lotion – shop on Skinstore – SkincareRx– Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 100% Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid SPF30 – shop on Skinstore – SkincareRx – Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60 – shop on Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios AOX Daily Antioxidant Serum with Sunscreen for Face SPF 50 – shop on Skinstore – SkincareRx – Amazon
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Activewear Lotion Sport Body & Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60 – shop on Amazon
1. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 60
best La Roche-Posay sunscreen for acne-prone and oily skin
- dermatologist tested
- non-comedogenic so it won’t clog pores or lead to breakouts
- has a lightweight texture that absorbs quickly into the skin.
- may irritate sensitive skin
- can be drying
- can flake
- may leave a white cast
The La Roche Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 60 is good to have in your skincare routine, particularly if you’re acne-prone or have oily skin. It’s lightweight, has a nice matte finish and won’t leave any oily residue.
This sunscreen is a great pick because it provides broad-spectrum protection from the sun, is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes and it contains a patented dry touch technology that ensures it won’t leave a greasy residue on your skin.
Use it at least 15 minutes before going outside and reapply every 2 hours or after swimming, towel drying, or heavy sweating.
2. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid
best La Roche-Posay mineral water-resistant sunscreen for face
- lightweight so it won’t feel heavy or greasy on your skin
- noncomedogenic so it won’t clog pores
- Oil-free so it won’t leave a greasy film on your skin
- broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 50
- may leave a white cast
La Roche Posay Anthelios Mineral Zinc Oxide Sunscreen SPF 50 is a mineral sunscreen that will absorb quickly and easily into the skin. However, if you have a darker complexion it does tend to leave an unflattering white cast.
It comes in two formulations: white or tinted. The white formula doesn’t leave behind any kind of residue on lighter skin tones, while the tinted does create a light colouration on your skin for added coverage. You can also use it as your makeup base to help with sun protection when you are out in the sun.
This sunscreen is ideal if you’re looking for a lightweight formula that offers broad-spectrum protection.
The non-greasy formula is lightweight and easy to apply while providing high protection against UVA and UVB rays which can cause premature ageing, wrinkles, sun spots, redness and dryness. It will protect you from the sun while making your skin feel smooth and luxurious.
3. La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen – Gentle Lotion
best La Roche-Posay mineral water-resistant sunscreen for body
- works well on sensitive skin
- easy to apply
- non-irritating and non-comedogenic (won’t cause acne or blackheads)
- can irritate the eyes
- may leave a white cast on the skin
- thick consistency
- may be hard to wash from face, hands and clothing
The Anthelios SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen – Gentle Lotion is a sunscreen that has a non-greasy texture that’s ideal for sensitive skin. It provides broad-spectrum protection and is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes.
This sunscreen has an advanced UVA/UVB filter that blocks both UVA rays that cause skin cancer and UVB rays that cause sunburns.
This advanced filter also protects against photoaging of the skin, which can lead to wrinkles, dryness, and age spots.
The La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 50 Gentle Lotion Mineral Sunscreen can be applied before or after sun exposure.
4. La Roche-Posay Anthelios 100% Mineral Sunscreen Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid SPF30
best La Roche-Posay sunscreen for dry skin
- blends easily into the skin
- helps to prevent dryness and tightness
- won’t clog pores or cause breakouts
- may leave a white cast
- thicker consistency
The La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral SPF Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid is a worthwhile option if you have dry skin. Its oil-free and hydrating formula won’t clog pores or cause breakouts.
Because it hydrates while it protects, it can also help prevent the feeling of dryness and tightness that happens when you wear sunblock alone.
Not only does it use the power of hyaluronic acid (known for its unique ability to retain water) to hydrate, but it also reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. With this product, you can enjoy high protection and a radiant complexion.
5. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Cooling Water Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60
best La Roche-Posay water-resistant sunscreen
- water resistant
- no greasy residue
- lightweight formula
- may irritate the eyes
The Anthelios Cooling Water Sunscreen Lotion SPF 60 is a great option if you want to be protected from UV rays and skin damage, but also want to avoid the greasy feeling of traditional sunscreens.
This cooling water sunscreen lotion contains UVB/UVA filters and has an ultra-light formula that absorbs quickly and leaves no residue on the skin, perfect for those with sensitive skin or acne flare-ups.
Another great feature is its water resistance (up to 80 minutes) which makes it ideal for swimming or physically demanding activities.
6. La Roche-Posay Anthelios AOX Daily Antioxidant Serum with Sunscreen for Face SPF 50
best La Roche-Posay sunscreen for anti-ageing
- very easy to apply
- absorbs quickly
- can be used as a make-up primer
- expensive compared to other options
- not water resistant
Prevention is key to maintaining great skin, and the Anthelios AOX Daily Serum SPF 50 is an excellent choice.
This is a serum for everyday use that protects the skin from the sun’s rays, preventing it from premature ageing and free radicals that can expose your skin to photo-ageing.
This unscented, oil-free and lightweight sunscreen works great on sensitive skin, oily and acne-prone skin and will provide you with great coverage without clogging your pores and causing breakouts.
7. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Activewear Lotion Sport Body & Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60
best La Roche-Posay sunscreen for excessive sweating
- suitable for sensitive skin
- broadspectruem protection
- recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation
- may leave a white cast on your skin
- can be drying
- may flake
- may irritate the eyes
This sunscreen is a favourite among dermatologists because of its high UVA protection and is also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. The Anthelios Activewear Lotion Sport Body & Face Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 60 is a great option if you’re athletic and need sunscreen that won’t wash away as your sweat.
Rich in antioxidants it offers 80 minutes of water resistance, is oil and fragrance-free, with a dry touch texture that absorbs sweat and helps keep even the most sensitive skin protected from UVB/UVA rays and the signs of premature ageing.
Which La Roche-Posay face sunscreen is best?
There is no single sunscreen that works for everyone or every skin type. There are so many factors to consider like your unique skin type, SPF, chemical, physical, natural, price, etc.
That said, some of the best La Roche-Posay sunscreens include the Anthelios AOX Daily Antioxidant Serum with Sunscreen for Face SPF 50, the Anthelios Cooling Water Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30, and the Anthelios Clear Skin Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 60.
Do you put La Roche-Posay sunscreen on before or after moisturizer?
This all depends on what type of sunscreen you’re using. If you’re using a mineral-based sunscreen then it’s best to moisturize first.
However, if you’re using a chemical-based sunscreen, it’s best to apply the sunscreen first so it can absorb into your skin and then top it off with your favourite moisturizer.
Does La Roche sunscreen cause acne?
Anything that has an oil base, like makeup, moisturizer and sunscreen can clog your pores and cause breakouts if you tend to have oily skin.
So if you’re acne-prone look for products that are noncomedogenic or oil-free, which won’t clog your pores.
How often should you apply La Roche-Posay sunscreen?
For best results, sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure and then every two hours after that.
To protect your skin from harmful UV rays, you should use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 but preferably 30 every day. Though it may seem like a hassle, it’s worth it if you want to maintain healthy skin for a lifetime.