If you’re thinking of getting a new tattoo, you probably have a lot of questions. What design should you choose? Where should you get it? How much will it hurt? And most importantly, how should you take care of it?
The daily maintenance of your tattoo is a crucial part of the tattoo process. It can make or break your tattoo’s appearance, health, and longevity. You want to keep your new ink clean, moisturized, and protected from infection, scabbing, and fading.
But with so many tattoo aftercare products out there, how do you know which one to use? One product that you may have heard of is Lubriderm lotion.
Lubriderm is a popular brand of moisturizing lotion that claims to be gentle, effective, and clinically proven for skin care.
But is Lubriderm lotion good for new tattoos? Does it really help your tattoo heal faster and better?
Or does it cause more harm than good? In this article, I’ll answer these questions and more.
We’ll look at the pros and cons of using Lubriderm lotion for new tattoos, and give you some tips on how to use it properly and safely.
|this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you purchase from one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Lubriderm Lotion for New Tattoos
Lubriderm lotion has some benefits that make it a good choice for tattoo aftercare. Here are some of them:
It’s water-based and non-greasy
This means it won’t clog your pores or interfere with your tattoo’s healing process. It will also absorb quickly into your skin and won’t leave a sticky or oily residue.
It contains glycerin and vitamin B5
These ingredients help moisturize and heal your skin. Glycerin attracts water to your skin and keeps it hydrated. Vitamin B5 promotes faster healing by stimulating cell growth and repair.
It’s fragrance-free and gentle
This reduces the risk of irritation or allergic reactions. Some fragrances or chemicals can cause inflammation, itching, or rashes on your tattooed skin. Lubriderm lotion avoids these problems by being simple and mild.
It’s clinically tested and approved by dermatologists, hospitals, and pharmacists
This means it has been proven to be safe and effective for skin care. You can trust that Lubriderm lotion will not harm your tattoo or your health.
Lubriderm lotion also compares favorably to other tattoo aftercare products in terms of its advantages. For instance:
- Unlike petroleum-based products, Lubriderm lotions don’t suffocate your skin or trap bacteria in your tattoo.
- Unlike alcohol-based products like rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, Lubriderm lotion doesn’t dry out your skin or damage your tattoo’s color.
- Unlike scented or colored products like perfumed lotions or creams, Lubriderm lotion doesn’t cause irritation or infection on your tattooed skin.
Drawbacks or Risks of Lubriderm Lotion for New Tattoos
Lubriderm lotion is good, but it’s not perfect. It does have some drawbacks that you should be aware of before using it on your new tattoos.
Here are a few to consider:
It may not be suitable for everyone
Especially if you have very sensitive skin or allergies to some of the ingredients. Lubriderm lotion may still cause some adverse reactions for some people, such as redness, swelling, itching, or burning.
If you have any known allergies or sensitivities, you should check the label carefully and do a patch test before applying it to your tattoo.
It may not provide enough protection from sun exposure, which can fade or damage your tattoo.
Unfortunately, Lubriderm lotion doesn’t contain any SPF or sunblock, which means it doesn’t protect your tattoo against harmful UV rays.
Exposing your tattoo to the sun can cause it to fade, blur, and degrade over time. To protect your tattoo, it’s important to always use sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher and water resistance when exposing it to sunlight.
It may not be enough to prevent infection or scabbing, which requires proper cleaning and care.
Lubriderm lotion isn’t antiseptic or antibacterial, which means it doesn’t kill germs or prevent infection on your tattoo. Infections can lead to serious complications for both your tattoo and your health, including symptoms like pus, fever, pain, or scarring.
It’s crucial to always wash your tattoo with unscented, antibacterial soap and carefully follow the aftercare instructions provided by your tattoo artist.
Lubriderm lotion has several disadvantages that make it compare unfavorably to other tattoo aftercare products. For instance:
- Unlike specialized products like Mad Rabbit or After Inked, Lubriderm lotion doesn’t have any specific features or benefits for tattoo care, such as anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, or soothing properties.
So Is Lubriderm Lotion Good for New Tattoos?
Yes, Lubriderm lotion is fine to use for your new tattoo. It offers several benefits that make it ideal for tattoo aftercare.
Firstly, it’s water-based, which helps keep your skin hydrated without clogging pores. Additionally, it’s non-greasy, fragrance-free, and gentle on the skin.
Most importantly, Lubriderm lotion is clinically proven, providing you with peace of mind during the healing process.
However, it’s not perfect and may not be suitable for everyone, especially if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients. Additionally, it doesn’t provide sun protection and there is no guarantee that it will prevent infection or scabbing.
So, the best way to determine if Lubriderm lotion is suitable for your new tattoos is to consult with your tattoo artist, who can guide recommended products, or you can try it out for yourself.
But first: Always follow the instructions of your tattoo artist regarding tattoo aftercare. Whether they recommend using a specific ointment or lotion, avoiding certain activities, or giving you a detailed cleaning routine – these instructions are not to be taken lightly. Your artist knows how important it is to keep your tattoo looking vibrant and beautiful for years to come.
If you do decide to use Lubriderm lotion for your new tattoos, here are some tips on how to use it effectively and safely:
- Apply a thin layer of Lubriderm lotion three to four times a day for the first few weeks after getting your tattoo. Do not over-apply or under-apply the lotion, as this can cause problems for your tattoo and your skin.
- Avoid rubbing, scratching, or picking at your tattoo while it heals. This can damage your tattoo’s appearance and cause infection or scarring. If your tattoo itches, gently pat it with a clean cloth or apply some ice to relieve the discomfort.
- Use sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher and water resistance when exposing your tattoo to sunlight. Sun exposure can fade or damage your tattoo over time. You should also avoid tanning beds, as they can have the same effect.
- Stop using Lubriderm lotion and contact your tattoo artist or doctor if you notice any signs of infection, allergic reaction, or other complications. These may include pus, fever, pain, swelling, redness, hives, rashes, blisters, or scabs. Do not ignore these symptoms, as they can worsen if left untreated.
Lubriderm lotions are popular and widely available products that can be used for tattoo aftercare. However, they are not a one-size-fits-all solution. Like any product, they have their pros and cons, and their effectiveness may vary from person to person.
The best way to find out if Lubriderm lotion is good for your new tattoos is to do your research, consult with your tattoo artist, and try it out for yourself.
You may love it or hate it, but you won’t know until you give it a shot.