Breakouts happen. And when they do, it’s tough to know what to do.
When you have acne, it can be hard to find treatments that soothe your skin without causing additional breakouts. Conventional beauty products usually have chemicals and ingredients that can sometimes make things worse.
Homemade beauty products are an effective and fairly simple way to treat all types of acne, whether it’s an occasional stress breakout or a chronic acne issue. Homemade face masks in particular can help you prevent and clear up your acne and keep your skin glowing, moisturized, and healthy.
Not only can you save money, but you’ll also know everything you’re putting on your skin is safe and natural and you probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
And if you’re looking for other ways to clear up your acne then learn the 21 Proven Ways To Get Rid Of Embarrassing Face Acne For Good.
Natural ingredients for acne
These natural ingredients can be used to create soothing masks that help to hydrate your skin and fight common causes of acne.
- Oatmeal- an antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation, itchiness, dryness and exfoliates dead skin. targets acne-causing bacteria and helps balance skin’s natural oils
- Apple cider vinegar – targets acne-causing bacteria and helps reduce the appearance of scars. may cause irritation, should be used carefully.
- Honey + Cinnamon – anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial
- Tea tree oil – anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Green tea – high in antioxidants that fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- Witch hazel – fights bacteria, reduces inflammation and helps heal the skin.
- Baking Soda – softens blackheads and unclogs pores
- Turmeric – natural anti-inflammatory agent
- Lemon juice – an exfoliant, skin lightener, and antiseptic, reduces the appearance of scars and prevents new pimples from forming
- Bentonite Clay – unclogs and unblocks pores by attracting toxins, absorbs excess oil, suitable for sensitive or oily skin, antibacterial and helps reduce the spread of infection.
- Charcoal – purifies and detoxifies pores, highly absorbent (reduces oil)
The Benefits of Using A Homemade Face Mask For Acne
- are just as effective as store-bought products
- clean and safe ingredients
- no chemicals
- tailored to suit your skin’s needs
Here are 11 homemade face masks for acne made with natural ingredients. These homemade acne face masks are made with skin-friendly nutrients and ingredients like honey, avocado, oatmeal, and clay and will leave you with healthy, glowing skin.
11 Homemade Face Mask For Acne
1. Oatmeal + Baking Soda
If you have acne, give this face mask a try. Not only is it easy to make but it works! Oatmeal is good for exfoliating, is very versatile and combined with baking soda, your pores will be clean. This face mask feels amazing on your skin and you won’t have to worry about ingredients you can’t pronounce.
- 1/2 cup plain oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of water
Grind or blend the oatmeal to a powder. Mix all ingredients together then apply to your face. Leave on for 15 minutes or until it dries.
2. Bentonite Clay + Apple Cider Vinegar
This homemade face mask uses just two simple ingredients and is easy to make. it helps to reduce breakouts and blackheads and acts as an exfoliator, which leaves skin feeling smooth and soft.
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Mix ingredients together using non-metal utensils. Apply evenly across your face and leave on until it dries (about 30 minutes). Leave on for less (10-15 mins) If you have sensitive skin.
3. Avocado + Honey Face Mask
This homemade charcoal face mask is great for oily, combination, and acne-prone skin. Avocado and honey are both antioxidants and help to clear up acne and nourish and hydrate your skin.
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Mash the avocado to a consistent, lump-free mush. Add the honey and mix. Then apply evenly over your face. Leave on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
4. Baking Soda + Lemon Juice Face Mask For Acne
This mask is good for preventing and healing breakouts. It can also be used as a spot treatment. This acne mask uses simple ingredients, is cheap, easy to make and does wonders for the skin! All it needs is water, baking soda, and lemon juice!
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of water (you can adjust this if you feel you need more water)
- A couple drops of lemon juice
Mix ingredients together to form a paste. Apply the paste to your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water or wipe with a face cloth.
Tip: baking soda can be very drying. Use jojoba or hemp seed oil (great oils to use if you have acne) as a moisturizer to help prevent dryness after using the baking soda face mask.
5. Lemon + Honey + Nutmeg + Cinnamon
It’s amazing how many delicious food ingredients double as nourishing skin food while also tackling acne and acne scars. This homemade face mask utilizes four ingredients that help tackle acne and acne scars naturally.
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
Grind the oatmeal into a fine powder (a few big pieces are okay for exfoliation). Mix ingredients together until it makes a paste. Apply all over your face. Leave on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off with warm water. You can rub lightly while rinsing to add a little bit more exfoliation to the routine.
6. Nutmeg + Milk + Honey Homemade Face Mask For Acne
This is a super easy homemade acne face mask, that works! To make it you need nutmeg, milk, and honey, and it only takes a few minutes. You can do this 1 or 2 times a week, and is great for anyone with oily or acne-prone skin!
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of nutmeg
- 2/3 teaspoons of cow’s milk
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then apply to your face. Layer the mask until it’s all gone. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water or gently wipe it away with a face cloth.
7. Tea tree oil + Honey + Lemon Juice + Oatmeal Acne Mask
This homemade honey oatmeal mask is simple, easy and best fit pampering your skin and fighting off acne. It’s perfect to use once or twice a week.
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 drops tea tree essential oil
Grind the oats then mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Apply to face and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water or wipe off with a face cloth.
8. Egg White + Lemon Juice + Turmeric powder Acne Mask
This face mask is made from natural and simple ingredients and is also very easy to make. Made with turmeric which is a natural anti-inflammatory and gentle exfoliator and lemon juice, a skin lightener and antiseptic, they both help to reduce the appearance of acne scars.
This mask will also help prevent breakouts and is great for acne-prone skin. Using this face mask 1-2 times a week will clear up your acne in no time.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until it turns frothy. Add and mix the lemon juice and turmeric powder. Apply the mixture all over your face. Leave it on for 10–15 minutes or until completely dry then rinse with warm water.
9. Bentonite Clay + Honey + Apple Cider Vinegar Mask for Acne
This gentle homemade acne face mask is an affordable and natural remedy that will definitely help you fight breakouts! This acne face mask is super easy to make and perfect for oily, combination and acne-prone skin. This face mask uses the absorption of bentonite clay and the antibacterial properties of honey and is a great choice if you want to fight acne.
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay
- 1 tablespoon raw, organic honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until it makes a watery paste. Apply it to your face and avoid your eyes and mouth. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
10. Charcoal + Tea tree essential oil + Coconut Oil Face Mask for Acne-Prone Skin
Coconut oil is a multi-purpose ingredient that’s great for treating acne and acne scars. However, because of its high comedogenic rating (which means it can clog your pores and cause acne), it can cause breakouts for some people, so you should introduce it slowly into your routine and see how your skin reacts.
On the other hand, using coconut oil as an oil cleanser or in facial masks is a terrific way to treat acne. So if you want brighter clearer skin, give this face mask a try.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
Mix ingredients together to make a creamy paste. Apply it to your face, avoiding the area around your eyes and mouth. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
11. Cinnamon + Honey + Baking Soda + Green Tea
This cinnamon, honey, baking soda and green tea face mask is a great acne-fighting solution! It’s antimicrobial, naturally antibacterial has exfoliating abilities, is mildly antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory. It will leave your skin feeling clean and hydrated.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon green tea powder
Mix ingredients together for a smooth, even consistency. Apply to your face avoiding your eyes and mouth and leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water or gently wipe away with a damp face cloth.
When you have acne, it can be hard to find treatments that soothe your skin without causing additional breakouts. Conventional beauty products are filled with chemicals and ingredients that can sometimes make things worse.
One solution would be to create a homemade face mask to treat your acne and see how your skin responds. Face masks are super simple to make, yet highly effective and they use ingredients that you already have at home!
The masks mentioned above can be used as go-to spot treatments or as part of your weekly skincare routine.
If this was helpful don’t forget to share! Thanks!